Friday, August 21, 2009

Windows command prompt during repair?

So, I'm having severe problem with my computer freeing up,and I'm trying to use the Windows XP CD to repair things. Problem is, after it goes into repair mode, and after a few files are set-up and whatnot, it asks me for the administrator password. Well, I never set up an administrative account or password or anything like that.



I press enter, hoping to just skip the problem, and it gives me a command prompt:



C:/WINDOWS I believe. I type help and it gives me a list of commands I can use. Any idea how to handle this problem?



Windows command prompt during repair?vista



Well, its doing what it is supposed to do. The Repair drops you off at the command prompt so you can cpoy over files to your windows installation directoy.



If you are getting to the command prompt, then you are past the Admin password (which is probably set to null).



Since you seem to not know this, then doing a Repair is probably beyond you, unless you know EXACTLY what files you need to copy over - and that is not a question that can be answered here in Answers.



Windows command prompt during repair?antispyware



Here:



Try taking a look at this website:



How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install



Author: Michael Stevens MS-MVP



http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepa...



Here's another:



How to Reinstall Windows Without Losing Your Data



http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2109p1...
If there's actually a password then simply reset it with Trinity Rescue CD, or dump windows and install Linux which is what I recommend to people anyway. Trinity has a program called winpass which allows you to erase all passwords on your windows xp/vista computer. Just google Trinity Rescue CD for the link, boot to it then watch this video:



http://www.metacafe.com/watch/316013/hac...



This video walks you through resetting windows passwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment