Friday, August 21, 2009

Can I use recovery disk from an HP on a Dell if it's the same OS?

Had a virus and had local computer repair shop fix it as I have no disk for the Dell. Some programs are missing now (i.e. Word, Excel, etc) and I can't open any fonts that require Adobe Type Manager (even though I did download the lite version). Can I use the recovery disk from my old computer if the the new one is a different manufacturer, but they both run XP?



Can I use recovery disk from an HP on a Dell if it's the same OS?agv



No. The software on the recovery disc is OEM licensed. Putting it on a different computer is a violation of that license.



I liked the suggestion you obtain a replacement recovery disc from Dell. Seems like the easiest safest thing.



Can I use recovery disk from an HP on a Dell if it's the same OS?antivirus software



No, you can't. And if you did you would have to call Microsoft for a new license key. One copy of XP per machine and they are not interchangeable. If you are simply talking about a programs restore CD then I see no problem with that. But do not use the XP CD that came with the HP and use it on the Dell, that is a no-no. As far as Word and Excel go, you can replace those with OpenOffice, http://www.openoffice.org/
I am sorry to say that u can't do that. That CD is specific to HP and will not work in DELL. What u may do is u may call DELL and order a new CD pack. It would not cost u less than 10 - 15$. It would include all the drivers, OS and latest 3rd party softwares.



The DEEL customer care no is :- 800 624 9896



Nikhil Chowdhary



Technical Support Expert



DELL INTERNATIONAL SERVICES
Absolutely NOT! You can order a new recovery disc from Dell even if you computer is out of warranty!
It may work except for the drivers.
No, the recovery disk is specifically for HP, but if you are trying to install some sofwares from the HP recovery disk you can open it manually and try install the softwares on it, though the drivers will do you no good since they are HP. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment